in the prestigious heritage premises of
Manikyavelu Mansion, the NGMA Bengaluru branch
was inaugurated by the Honourable Union Minister
of Culture and Tourism, Mrs. Ambika Soni on
Over 90 years old, the Manikyavelu Mansion on
Palace Road was once the property of the Mysore
royal family. The mansion later came to be owned
by Raja Manikayavalu Mudaliar, a mine owner. It
was taken over by the State Government in the
late sixties, who then offered it to the
Ministry of Culture in July 1989 for setting up
of a modern art Museum at Bengaluru by NGMA. The
foundation stone for the museum was laid in
Spread over an area of 3.5 acres, the historic
heritage mansion was transformed from a
residency into a museum gallery, with a display
space of 1551 sq. m by architect Naresh
Narasimhan of Venkataramana Associates. The
heritage building has been supplemented by a new
Gallery Block, which adds a display space of
1260 sq. m. The new architecture is so designed,
that while fulfilling the requirement of spaces
needed by a modern museum, it coexists in
harmony with the style and ambience of the
traditional mansion. Equipped with a refurbished
auditorium, an open air theatre, a reference
library, offices and art storage, a cafeteria,
and a museum shop cum facilitations block, the
NGMA looks ahead to becoming a hub of art
activities and a major cultural centre at
Bengaluru. The architects of the New Wing of
NGMA, M/s. TEAM were provided the requisite
support in the organization of the interiors and
the detailing of the display systems.
Route guide to NGMA Bengaluru complex from MG Road, Metro Station:
- Head towards Anil Kumble Circle and take right on Queen's Road to find Chinnaswamy Stadium on your right.
- Continue straight ahead and follow the bend (Metro Construction) to find the General Post Office to your left and move straight ahead crossing the signal.
- Continue ahead on Rajbhavan Road and keep straight to reach traffic signal with Chalukya Hotel in front of you.
- Take right at the signal and proceed further (Sophia's High School to your left) and continue to cross the round about at Balabruhi Guest House.
- Head straight ahead on Palace Road to find NGMA Bengaluru on the left side between the Anjaneya Temple and Petrol Bunk.